On Sunday, September 24, Dominion Consulting employees, families, and friends participated in the 2017 Walk to End Alzheimer’s. This walk is the largest event to raise awareness and donations for Alzheimer’s disease. Despite the hot temperatures, over 1,000 people showed up strong and ready for the afternoon walk.
About the Walk
The Northern Virginia Walk is held annually at the Reston Town Center. Dominion folks arrived a little before 1:30 pm and the town center was already packed! Sponsors lined the streets with tables full of insightful information; there was even a fun table for face painting (a hit for all the kids!). Prior to the Promise Garden ceremony, participants chose flowers of different colors to represent their connection to the disease. It was a powerful moment to see people raise their flowers in the air before the start of the walk.
The fundraising goal for the Northern Virginia Walk was $250,000. I am proud to say Dominion helped the chapter exceed that goal! The walk raised over $273,000! Overall, it was great to see the community so involved in such an important cause.
Alzheimer’s disease is an epidemic. As released by the Alzheimer’s Association, the numbers speak volumes:
- One in three seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another dementia
- Alzheimer’s is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States
- In the United States someone develops Alzheimer’s every 66 seconds.
- It is the only cause of death in the top 10 in America that cannot be prevented, cured, or slowed.
2017 marked the first year we had an official Dominion Consulting Team for the walk, but we look forward to helping raise awareness for this worthy cause for years to come!
Want to join Dominion in our next event? Sign up for the 2017 Veteran’s Day 5k race!
Subscribe to Dominion's Blog via Email
- Looking at the Future of Digital at SAP TechEd 2017
- Congratulations Laurence Hart, The Information Coalition’s 1st Honors Fellow
- Dominion Walks to End Alzheimer’s
- People First These Days in Information Governance
- Fall is Coming So It Must Be Time for Dominion’s 2017 Veteran’s Day 5K Race
- Dominion Wins as Prime for USDA Shared Services BPA
- Drum Roll Please, the Top Ten Reasons to Work at Dominion are…
- Working to Innovate at the Agile 2017 Conference